Tuesday, December 14, 2004

"The Fun Suit"

Seven years ago I bought a suit to wear to my rehearsal dinner. My bride-to-be picked it out. Being a conservative guy, every suit I'd ever had was navy blue, charcoal gray or blue or gray pin stripe. This suit was different. I don't know enough about fabrics to describe it without making it sound ugly, but I'll try. It is kind of a greenish brown crosshatch, with three-buttons and pleated pants. The guy who sold it to me was one of those great suit salesmen who make you feel good by pinching the shoulders up, slapping your biceps and exclaiming, "Dang, you fill out this jacket like nobody's business! Did you used to play ball?"

In our new family it instantly became known as "The Fun Suit," because as I handed the salesman my credit card, he looked me in the eyes and solemnly predicted, "You're going to have a lot of fun in this suit."

So I did. Yesterday was our wedding anniversary. Seven years, three kids, three jobs, two states and a dog later, The Fun Suit is too frayed to keep wearing, and will soon be packed off for the Christmas clothing drive. May the next guy have as much fun in it as I did.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! We were worried about you!

11:47 AM, December 14, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter