Thursday, September 30, 2004

Zombies

Let me say one thing about the first debate--I missed it. Went to see Shaun Of The Dead instead. Great movie.

I usually don't watch big speeches by politicians since I've learned I can save time by reading the transcript the next day. If I really wanted to save time, I suppose I could borrow my opinion from a consensus of "experts."

To be honest, I don't recall ever changing my vote based on a debate. I usually have a pretty good idea where the politicos stand and they rarely say anything startling. And maybe some people can tell about "character" by watching someone talk, but all I can tell is how good they are at debating techniques.

The last debate that made a big difference was between President Bartlet and Governor Ritchie. (I hate to explain what you all understand, but I'm referring to The West Wing.) Republican Ritchie said something really stupid and the brilliant Bartlet hit it out of the park.

It's always interesting to see how things work in a dream world. Even better is the big speech written by the same man--Aaron Sorkin--for President Andrew Shepherd (Michael Douglas) in the generically titled The American President. The film came out in 1995 and both Sorkin and director Rob Reiner were trying to show Clinton how a President should act. After playing it safe for and hour and a half, Shepherd finally and unashamedly admits he's a liberal. Meanwhile, in the real world, Bill Clinton signed welfare reform, denied he was a liberal and was handily reelected.

So what's my point? You got me.

According to the experts, Kerry did okay. The polls will be out in a few days and then we'll really know.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interested. Keep Blogging!

8:23 AM, December 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter