Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Bye, Ken

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and it happened later. Ken Jennings finally lost on Jeopardy!, after 75 appearances. Last year the show got rid of its silly five-game limit and Jennings was the first to really take advantage of the rule change.

Jennings' streak got me watching the show again. He was so good the result was rarely in doubt by Final Jeopardy. However, in this last game he blew two second-round daily doubles, either one of which would have put him out of reach. Even then, he was well ahead and would have won if he'd figured H&R Block is the company with 70,000 part-time white collar employees.

I knew some people were in the anti-Jennings camp. They thought he was creepy and smug. A few even suggested the fix was in. Well, I guess they can start watching again. I can just about guarantee there won't be another streak like that in our lifetimes.

Ken Jennings now has plenty of time to figure what to do with what's left after taxes of $2.5 million. (I think it's silly we tax windfalls like game show and gambling winnings, but that's another piece.) He'll make a bunch of media appearances and then become the answer to a trivia question.

So will Nancy Zerg, who beat him. I'll watch to see how she does tomorrow, but I doubt she'll finish out the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter