Saturday, March 26, 2005

Competition

In response to my bit about changing banks, a reader noted how badly companies treat you when there's no competition. (They can also hang on pretty bad when you try to leave. There was once a Seinfeld where George's girlfriend refused to accept their breakup. That's how AOL acted for about six months after I thought I ended it.)

Anyway, I had plenty of time to think about competition and its effects a few weeks ago. I had to go to the downtown government building--already a hassle--to deal with an issue (don't worry, I'm not being deported). It was 3 pm. I got into a line with about 20 people ahead of me. There were 17 windows to serve us. Guess how many were open? Two. Then, amazingly, two more opened. Except that the people behind the windows already open just then went on their breaks.

I was in that line an hour. I bought a paper, read it, and still had enough time to think wouldn't it be nice if we had two governments, so if one gets too inefficient, we could walk across the street to the other one. Government is cocky, because they know they're the only game in town. (The only thing worse is what they charge for snacks at movies.) Let's knock that grin off their face.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter