Saturday, April 02, 2005

The Drought Is Over?

Speaking of movies, it's been a pretty weak year so far. But April shows some promise, even amongst the major releases. This weekend has Sin City, which, if nothing else, will be a striking thing to see. (I've read the comic version, but I'm not sure if too straight a translation to the screen will work.)

Next week has Fever Pitch, Kung Fu Hustle and Sahara, all possibilities. Fever Pitch is based on a novel by Nick Hornsby, has a screenplay by Ganz and Mandel, and is directed by the Farrelly Brothers--all names that have done good work. Alas, the star is Jimmy Fallon, but who knows? Kung Fu Hustle is the latest by Stephen Chow, the biggest star in Asia. Much of his comedy has left me cold, but many are saying this is his best. Sahara is hoping to recapture the Indiana Jones feeling, though it may be closer to The Mummy.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy will be released late this month. I enjoyed the radio version, the books and the TV version--is it that much to ask that they make a good film?

I sometimes think no one makes movies for me anymore. Hollywood, prove me wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter