Sunday, April 17, 2005

I Get The Picture

The New York Times Magazine has an informative, if alarmist, feature on the "Constitution In Exile" movement. I liked the piece, though author Jeffrey Rosen does seem to treat those who lean libertarian in their Constitutional interpretation as if they're from another planet. (For some specific criticisms, including the fact the disparate people in this movement rarely call it a "Constitution in exile"--that's how their enemies describe it--check out the Volokh Conspiracy, which has several posts on the subject.)

But what really caught my eye is the Rogues Gallery. The Times displays ominous photos of the leading members of the "movement." There they are, in glorious black and white, looking like nothing so much as Alfred Hitchcock about to introduce another tale of murder and mayhem. In particular, Richard Epstein, movement guru, doesn't appear to be the Richard Epstein I know. If you want to see what he looks like when he's at home, go to his page of the U of C Law School.

Ironically, when I first saw his new photo, I thought it was his colleague, R. H. Helmholz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter