Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Have a little whine with that?

Via Kaus, a journalism professwrites about an appalling act by the NYTimes. A student applies for an internship, is asked for a professor contact and gives the name of one he admires but who happens to ahve written critically of the Manhattan Media Whores, er, slipped, the NYTimes. Here is what a Times editor openly responds:

“Hi Kejal, Based on what Allan Wolper has written about us, I cannot imagine that he would want one of his students to intern here. I guess if we need students from New Jersey, we will go elsewhere. Best, Nancy.”

But later she put it in context. She explained that she was being snide.

I wish I could say this lowered my opinion of the New York Times.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds petty, but ask yourself if you'd allow a liberal to intern over at Pajamaguy.

10:16 AM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

You are kidding, right?

I fear not. Sigh.

As far as PajamaGuy goes, LAGuy is hardly a conservative. ChicagoGuy is downright liberal (his silence should not be interpreted as agreement with the thoughts expressed here; I think he simply has a job and is unwilling to spend the time).

More to your point, though, I just finished with a journalism intern who was quite liberal, thinks Bush is a goof robot who gets his talking points from Haliburton. The intern did outstanding work for me, and I wrote him a stellar recommendation, and would be delighted to work with him in the future, even here at PajamaGuy.

You can't really be serious, can you? That is depressing.

10:32 AM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what's so great about the internet, I never might have found this on my own. And people wonder why I hate the NY Times. Also, this incident goes beyond political agenda. It's just exclusionary, period. We don't like what you say about us, therefore we don't like you or anyone you know or anyone who raises your name in conversation. Holy crap, who's running that paper? Joe McCarthy?

12:49 PM, February 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to think that the snide NYT staffer will be out on her butt soon a la Jayson Blair and Scooter's squeeze, Judith whats-her-name. Since the NYT, unlike say FOX, espouses objectivity (though you guys obviously think they are lefty and lying about it)and letting this non-circumspect remark would damage that reputation horribly.

9:33 AM, February 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter