Thursday, April 06, 2006

It's Not Over When The Fat Lady Sings

I have to admit I'm pleased Mandisa got 86ed from American Idol. Unquestionably talented, she was far from my favorite performer. Yet, I feared, her soulful belting would win.

Let me put it this way. I remember the old Gong Show, and the only act that was gong-proof, and usually the winner, was any African-American lady who could belt out a soul number. But it's a style of singing that often doesn't work for me.

I have plenty of soul and gospel albums where it does work. But there are a lot of songs that require a less overpowering style. For example, as talented as Aretha Franklin is, I'll still take Dionne Warwick's version of "I Say A Little Prayer," which is nuanced but simpler, and brings out the natural quality of the song better.

It's the same way I felt a few weeks ago when Mandisa oversang one of Stevie Wonder's greatest songs "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing." The song is a Latin rhythm number, and keeping the beat without pouring a lot of syrup over it is important. Mandisa's all-purpose belt wasn't appropriate.

Good work, voters. You are restoring my faith in democracy.

Columbus Guy says: Now if the voters can just restore your faith in democracy by, you know, a vote for politicians.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter