Monday, May 01, 2006

Appreciate Me, You Jerk

Today is the May Day boycott supporting immigration (of all sorts). Purely as strategy, I question this move.

If the boycott has little effect, it's a failure. But even if it's huge, it will likely backfire.

Supporters apparently think Americans will look at this event and say "gee, we really do need these immigrants, illegal or otherwise."

My guess is most Americans will say "how dare they?--let's kick them all out and we'll see who needs who the most." (Pardon my average American's grammar.)

My suggestion for future marches and the like--try to emphasize how hardworking and grateful you are, not how important.

PS Here's the quote of the week, from actor John Leguizamo: "It is insulting that the law would call an immigrant a criminal. It's horrible."

John, let me ask you a question. Do you know of any nation that has no laws regarding who is and isn't a citizen? That's practically the definition of a country. Now I hope this isn't too confusing, John, but if you don't follow these rules--for instance, by entering and living in a country without proper documentation--you are breaking the law, i.e., commiting a crime. If you don't believe me, try it in anywhere south of the United States and see how it goes.

I've generally been in favor of fairly open borders, but even I believe there's a distinction between a legal and illegal immigrant.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you've been watching the news today you'd know that the day has worked out pretty well for the planners.

1:20 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know. I got a cab, got my coffee at Starbucks and the lawn looked mowed when I came home. Who exactly wasn't working? or have our homegrown folks indulged in the quaint American custom of strikebreaking?

5:53 PM, May 01, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

It was actually a pretty pleasureable day unless you were stuck downtown in the crowd. I wouldn't have known there was any difference where I live except that an Astro Burger on Santa Monica that I passed by was closed.

11:28 PM, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I am a downtownie. I made my westbound 7 mile commute in 12 minutes (which is a significant reduction from my usual 45 minute crawl). The protesters marched past my office, despite it not being on the parade route. That tied up some traffic, but it didn't affect me 'cause I was WORKING (and they were not). Escaping at 5pm was also remarkably easy. In any case, their boycott failed to make me sympathize with their cause.

4:41 PM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter