Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Picture This

A few years ago I purchased a Kodak digital camera and installed the company's software on my computer. Right now I'm watching as a little rectangle slowly rises from the bottom right of my screen warning me this is my last chance to update the software. Either I can click on it to get to the new stuff, or wait till it goes away.

I'm not interested in updating the software, even for nothing. The old software works fine and I don't feel the need to relearn how to use it. Yet this rectangle with the warning has been popping up several times a day for over a year!

Kodak, I hate you.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having worked for Microsoft for several years, I always update software if it's just an increment after the decimal place -- e.g, updating version 4 to 4.1, or 5.02 to 5.07, or something like that.

This is almost always a minor update: which means either a bug fix or a security fix. The website will probably tell you of a few trivial new "features", but that's just because they don't want to say that the old version had bugs.

On the other hand, if the whole number goes up, this almost always means they added some sizeable new features. I'm never sure whether to install that, because the new features are things I won't want, and the new features themselves may have bugs. Thus, version 6.03 is probably more bug-free than 7.0, since 6.03 fixed the bugs in version 6, but 7 has new bugs that won't be fixed until 7.02 or whatever....

11:57 PM, July 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Updates are the software industry's equivalent of the nanny state-- I urge you to strongly resist them and continue the valiant fight for freedom against the geek overlords

6:50 AM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I have nothing against free updates. What I don't like is a message that crawls up my screen several times a day for over a year that warns me this is my "last chance" to get the new software.

12:43 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter