Thursday, August 17, 2006

Taking Sides

I was a surprised by a full-page ad in the LA Times. It stated we "need to support democratic societies and stop terrorism at all costs" and was signed by 85 people, mostly Hollywood types. They lay the blame for the casualties in Israel and Lebanon at the feet of terrorists, as they should.

First, I'm used to wincing at such ads, since they're usually about how evil some democracy (America or Israel) is. Second, I wouldn't think strongly opposing terrorism and supporting countries who stand up to it would be a partisan issue, but for some reason, this view has become associated with the right. Third, along with well-known "Hollywood conservatives" (Bruce Willis, Pat Sajak, Patricia Heaton), it's good to see a number of liberals (Larry Gelbart, Dennis Hopper) and--to me, anyway--unknowns (Nicole Kidman, Danny De Vito and most of the others) speaking out.

I guess we have to add them all to the list of members of the International Zionist Conspiracy.

PS I see "Kristin Chenowith" signed the statement. I wonder if she's any relation to Kristin Chenoweth. (Maybe the list is just people with the same names as celebrities, and this was the closest they could get.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter