Sunday, September 24, 2006

Spread A Little Sunshine

Little Miss Sunshine has made $50 million dollars so far. Not bad for a little film. And I'm starting to sense what happened with Sideways is happening to LMS: backlash.

As long as they were small, charming films, the critics were champions. But when these two movies started looking like mainstream hits, those in the know didn't want to run with the crowd. They had second thoughts. It wasn't that good. Maybe it wasn't good at all.

I liked both and I doubt I'm going to change my mind. I'm not claiming either is La Regle Du Jeu, but it's rare enough to get good stories with (relatively) realistic human interaction these days, so I think we should celebrate when we do.

It's good when movies you enjoy are popular. It means they just may make more like them.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there from A2. I enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine more than any film in recent memory. So many good things about it. Quite well done.

One observation, though. For a long time, for a film to be a "black comedy" they had to cart around a dead body. Then for a while "black comedies" all included cannibalism. Does this signal a return to the "carting dead bodies around black comedy"?

Just askin'.

5:14 AM, September 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter