Monday, January 15, 2007

Lost Ends And Loose Ends

My main complaint about Lost has always been the producers don't know when it will end, so they can't make the show as tight as it should be.

Sensing this frustration, ABC is now stating there'll be a clear endpoint, and they will announce soon how long the show will run.

I guess this is good news, though I hope they'll go at leat six, maybe seven seasons. I mean I want the show to be good, but I want it to last as long as it can stay good.

ABC Entertainment President Steve McPherson also states the producers "made a clear choice that [the] first installment [this season] would be about Jack, Kate, Sawyer and The Others. For me, the show I really invest in is having everybody together. I thought it was a riveting six episodes, but I like it when they're all together and they're heading toward that again after the break." With this I don't agree.

It is an ensemble show, to be sure, and all the interaction makes Lost, but some characters, particularly Jack, Kate and Sawyer, along with Locke, are more compelling. There are others I like (and a few I wish they'd kill off), and they shouldn't be ignored, but there's nothing wrong with concentrating on the most interesting characters. This is a TV show, not a democracy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! I just started watching the show.

Which means that I had to stop reading this post after the first few words, since there are implicit spoilers when you mention a character's name, implying that they are still alive....

8:03 PM, January 14, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I promise there are no spoilers in this comment.

I just want to say that avoiding Lost until you're caught up may not be easy. If you have a TV, you mustn't turn on ABC, lest you see a promo and discover which characters have survived so far.

Also, you'll have to avert your eyes when you pass a newsstand or you might catch a glimpse of a cover with someone in the photogenic Lost cast.

Then there's the internet, which is a virtual Lost minefield.

A few years ago when I watched the entire Babylon 5 series in reruns, I was pretty safe, the show having already passed. Lost is still very much alive, so you'll have to be on guard.

9:00 PM, January 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter