Thursday, February 01, 2007

I Don't Heart Huckabee or What Makes Mikey Run

Former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee has thrown his hat into the presidential ring. So far I'm not impressed. Here's the statement with which he launched his run:
One of the reasons that I'm running for president is because I think that America needs folks who understand what it is to start at the bottom of the ladder and climb their way to the top. We've got a lot of people who are born on third base and think they've hit a triple. America loves an underdog. America loves people who have had to struggle and for whom every rung of the ladder has been sometimes three rungs up and two back down, Thank God for the one you've gained, and keep climbing.
I see, he's running because his story tests well.

I do love an underdog--in sports and movies. What I like in politicians are advocates for useful, well thought out programs. I really don't care about your original circumstances. You're a hired hand, and running a government isn't really a rags to riches sort of thing. It's about public policy, not personal struggles--save it for your memoirs.

A little more content, please, and less cheap populism (is there any other kind?).

(At least content-free speeches are better than Hillary's recent "I've done a few good things in the past and I completely disavow them.")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter