Thursday, June 07, 2007

It's Like This And Like That

A few days ago, the top Democrats sat down to discuss religion and values. Looking through the transcript, I think the high point was Edwards' evasiveness. Listen to this:

SOLEDAD O'BRIEN: Do you think homosexuals have the right to be married?

EDWARDS: No. Not personally. Now you're asking about me personally. But I think there's a difference between my belief system and what the responsibilities of the president of the United States are. It is the reason we have separation of church and state. And there are very good people, including some people that I'm very close to me, my daughter who is sitting in the front row here tonight, feels very differently about this issue. And I have huge respect for those who have a different view about this. So I think we have to be very careful about ensuring that the president of the United States is not using his belief system and imposing that belief system on the rest of the country. So what that...

O'BRIEN: But if it's...

EDWARDS: So what that -- I'm sorry. All I was going to say is I think what that means in this case is the substantive rights that go with partnerships, civil unions, for example, and all the subsequent rights that go with that, should be recognized in this country, at least in my judgment, should be recognized. And I think it is not the role of the federal government to tell either faith-based institutions, churches, synagogues, what they should or should not recognize. Nor should the federal government be telling states what they should recognize.

I'm sure there's an answer in there somewhere, but I don't have the time to find it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elect Edwards and he'll solve our problems by suing all our enemies.

11:25 AM, June 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, LA Guy -- What do you think? Should gays be able to marry?

2:48 PM, June 07, 2007  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think adults should be allowed to enter into whatever living arrangements (and contracts)concerning themselves as they wish, and the state should have no say in the matter.

4:22 PM, June 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter