Friday, December 14, 2007

The Great Debate

I read the transcript of the recent Republican debate. Pretty dispiriting. Thank goodness this is the last one till Iowa.

First question: What was Alan Keyes doing onstage? This was the most unncessary appearance on TV since they invited Adam Ant to the Motown 25th anniversary special.

Second question: What's with moderator Carolyn Washburn? She insisted on short answers to complex questions. Usually it's the candidates who try to run out the clock when they have nothing to say.

Anyway, by and large, unimpressive performances by all. I recognize they were often pandering--that's what politicians do. What I found disturbing is they weren't pandering to me.

The biggest unforced error, seems to me, was Romney's. When asked about taxes, he said he didn't worry too much about the rich, but was concerned about the middle class. This is the Dems' positions: "we can raise taxes as high as we want as long as we think the taxee can afford it (and he always can)."

PS I cried because I had no shoes*, and then I saw the Dems debate. I caught some of it on TV, and all I could see was whenever they suggested the government take over yet more of our lives, the concurrent liberal approval chart shot way up.

*When I use even part of this saying, I can't help but think of the Steven Wright line: "I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. So I said, ‘Got any shoes you're not using?’" Soon this'll be the mainstream saying. He's done it before. Most people now say "Women--can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em." A fair amount say "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Sparked a reminiscence--Stephen Wright's "shoe" line is funny but I heard a version of it years earlier as a wee lad, in all places, annually during sermons in a Catholic Church from Monsignor Helzlsauer (pronounced by most as "Hell's on fire") He was about an anti-Stephen Wright personage as you could imagine. I forget what annual celebration he trotted the story out for, but he told it the same way each year and ended it "and he wanted to sell me his shoes for a good price" to a wave of sighing chuckles

5:43 AM, December 14, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Catholics are heartless ba'stads. Next thing thing you'll be spreading all over the world, wiping out the idigenous people's and the indigenous people's cultures everywhere.

SWMBCg, etc.

2:04 PM, December 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter