Monday, March 17, 2008

Ghosts of the Past

I've been something of a movie buff since I was a kid and spent many a family evening as a youngster watching them with my parents. Invariably, at some point during the movie, my mom would spot an actor or actress and say "Now, wasn't he (or she) in..." and we would be scratching our heads, trying to remember the film or the name of the actor or both. This, of course, was before the advent of the Internet, where now such questions can be answered at the click of a mouse.

I was reminded of this last night while watching Darby O'Gill and the Little People, a Disney favorite from way back. Now, there are many reasons to recommend Darby: It's a fun and enjoyable film for all ages, it features a very young and dashing Sean Connery (in one of his first screen roles), the special effects - while outdated today - are very impressive for a 1959 film (the Banshee, featured in the title link - thanks for the tip, LAGuy - scared the crap out of me when I first saw it) and last but not certainly least, it stars a fetching actress by the name of Janet Munro.

Janet Munro is one of those actresses that would make my mom go "Now, wasn't she in..." Sadly, she did not live a happy life and she died at the age of 38. But before that she left an impression on a young boy that's lasted a lifetime.

Does anyone else have "ghosts" like that?

1 Comments:

Blogger LAGuy said...

Some of the "effects" are perspective shots, which are actually still pretty cutting edge today.

10:48 AM, March 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter