Friday, January 23, 2009

Wait Till Next Year

The 1930s is my favorite decade for film, so I eagerly awaited Jesse Walker's latest, his top ten from 1938 (scroll down a bit).

Most of his choices I can't fault. In fact, pretty much every one I agree with, though I don't put short cartoons on my film lists. You Can't Take It With You doesn't really compare to Capra's better work (even though it won the Oscar that year), and I don't think it improves on the original play, but it's still a lot of fun.

I was wondering if one Cary Grant film (Bringing Up Baby) would keep the other one out (Holiday) but Jesse is never afraid of giving out double awards.

Here are a few other films I like to varying degrees, though I don't think any of them I'd put over the features on Jesse's list:

Angels With Dirty Faces, Jezebel, The Citadel, Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (Lubitsch's unsuccessful stab at screwball, but still worth watching), Room Service (as a curiosity--the seven earlier Marx Brothers films are all about 100 times better, but it's preferable to the films made after), Three Comrades, The Shopworn Angel, Alexander Nevsky, Carefree (even a so-so entry in the Astaire/Rogers series is magical), Alexander's Ragtime Band, Algiers, If I Were King, Boys Town, The Big Broadcast Of 1938, Test Pilot and two from Laurel And Hardy (who were better in shorts), Block-Heads and Swiss Miss.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

I enjoyed Angels with Dirty Faces, Bluebeard's Eight Wife (very underrated, that one), Room Service, Alexander Nevsky, Carefree, and (if it's the Laurel & Hardy picture I'm thinking of) Block-Heads, but I wouldn't rate any of them high enough to make it onto a top ten list. Haven't seen any of the others you mention.

As for You Can't Take It With You: You know, it might not be an Enduring Masterpiece like It's a Wonderful Life, but I laughed all the way through it. That's gotta count for something.

6:53 AM, January 23, 2009  
Blogger Jesse said...

Oh, wait. I've seen Three Comrades. Didn't care for it at all.

6:56 AM, January 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swiss Miss has one of the best Laurel and Hardy scenes ever where they try to cross the rickety bridge with a piano while a gorilla is coming the other way.

11:36 AM, January 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter