Friday, August 28, 2009

Michael & Michael Have A Show

I was first introduced to Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter on the sketch show The State, which I found tremendously unfunny. Later, I saw them in Stella, which I was surprised to find I enjoyed.

Now they have a new show on Comedy Central, Michael & Michael Have Issues. The format is not promising. They play two performers named Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter who are very taken with themselves. They star in a sketch comedy show and their arrogance and obliviousness cause a lot of pain to themselves and those around them.

We get to see some of the sketches from their show-within-a-show. This is tricky, doing comedy within comedy, yet the sketches themselves aren't bad. The main comic focus, though, is on their behind-the-scenes lives.

I've watched the first few episodes and, like Stella, I'm a bit surprised to say it's pretty good.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Michael Ian Black has been an important component of Reaper, a show I like that I think is still on the bubble on CW's 2010 line-up. Honestly, CW has so little going for it, I'm surprised they can't fit Reaper in a slot somewhere.

I think I heard Black has also been a writer for the show. I hope his new gig will leave time for working on Reaper, should it return. The season cliff-hanger left a lot of promise for great episodes (trips to hell, messages from heaven (where Black's character now resides). If nothing else, Reaper promised scenes we've never seen in TV shows before (well, Homer Simpson goes to hell several times, but I mean in a live action series).

8:02 AM, August 28, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The Michael and Michael show has fewer episodes than a regular show, but I don't know how it'll effect their other projects.

I don't think Michael Ian Black is a writer for Reaper.

He's probably best known to the public for his work on NBC's Ed.

10:07 AM, August 28, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter