Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tomfoolery

I recently read Tom Davis's memoir, the reasonably enjoyable Thirty-Nine Years Of Short-Term Memory Loss. Davis is the lesser-known member of Franken & Davis, the least-loved comedians to regularly appear on Saturday Night Live. The narrative is fractured, and goes more into Davis's travels and attraction to the Grateful Dead that I cared to read. But if you're into SNL, save a spot on your shelf.

It's rare I've laughed at anything coming out of Al Franken's mouth, so let me admit he came up with a good line, on the spot, well before he was famous. According to Davis, some guy he was caddying for was having a terrible round, and blamed Franken. When it was over, he said "You must be the worst caddy ever" to which Franken replied "That would be too big a coincidence."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Bill/w said...

I laughed at Placenta Helper. I was surprised to learn that was Al's.

7:55 AM, November 19, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Franken and Davis were behind some good sketches in the early years of SNL, but I don't know anyone who looked forward to their appearances on the show.

10:01 AM, November 19, 2009  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Michael Jordan's appearance with Franken's character Stuart Smalley was laugh out loud funny, mostly because of MJ's inability to keep a straight face.

p.s. my verification is "coculkin," a word I would define as a "role where you have to let a child hit you in the groin over and over for laughs."

4:02 AM, November 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter