Saturday, December 19, 2009

Is Robert Duvall Worth Three Dollars?

Went to Century City to see Crazy Heart, a new film starring Jeff Bridges. It's about a washed up country singer, so I was surprised to see Robert Duvall costarring, since the last thing you think they'd want is to remind you of Tender Mercies.

The parking structure gave three free hours with a validated ticket, so I had twenty minutes after the movie to get to my car. After that, I had to pay three bucks.

Then as the credits come up, someone announces a special treat. The writer/director Scott Cooper would appear for some Q&A, and so would Robert Duvall. So I was in a quandary. Here was a chance to see a legend, in person. One of the greatest living actors. But if I didn't leave soon, three bucks out the window.

I stuck around. Here's what I learned for three bucks: Duvall looks pretty good for a guy pushing 80. Cooper's an actor who'd worked with him before, and they became friends. Cooper wrote the script based on a novel, Duvall liked it and signed on to produce. Another project fell through so he worked on this. Cooper had to work almost a year to get Bridges to agree to star--which apparently is par for the course. The original script had a darker ending (which I could see them setting up) but the money people insisted on something a little less down.

People are saying the role will finally win Bridges an Oscar. Maybe, but I don't think it'll be a hit. It was only playing in two theatres in town and the one I was in was only halfway packed for the first evening show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter