Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It Was Twenty Years Ago Today

Jesse Walker now has his top films for 1989 up. As usual, my general agreement is mixed with disagreement.

He says 1989 was not a great year. Maybe, maybe not, but looking back at all the good films then, it sure seems better than I remember.

I love Drugstore Cowboy. I recently watched it again, and I still think it's Gus Van Sant's best, even though he's done much good work since. Mystery Train is Jim Jarmusch's best, which is saying a lot. I also love Kiki's Delivery Service, but then, Miyazaki rarely misfires.

I like Life And Nothing But. Crimes And Misdemeanours I half-like.

Haven't seen Motel. I didn't like El Topo, so I stayed away from Santa Sangre. Never seen Monsieur Hire all the way through.

Here's what Jesse says about Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing:

Back in the day, there was a big debate over which was the better movie about race relations, Do the Right Thing or Driving Miss Daisy. Is anyone still willing to take Daisy's side of the argument? Spike Lee's angry yet ambiguous film was the sort of thoughtful picture that people like Stanley Kramer wanted to make back in the '50s and '60s but didn't have the talent to pull off. Twenty years after the fact, it is still the high point of Lee's career.

I don't know about race relations, but I'll go on record as saying Driving Miss Daisy is the better film. It may not be a classic, but it features two fine performances and is able to maneuver over very sentimental territory without overdoing it (mostly). Do The Right Thing, on the other hand, isn't so much ambiguous as muddled. It's incendiary, yes, and is one of Lee's best, but that's because the "plot" of DTRT forced the classical unities upon him, so the overall effect was more coherent than usual. (I actually loved Spike Lee's first big release, She's Gotta Have It, and still think he's very talented--it's just that amid all the interesting moments, he can't tell a story to save his life. And he lectures.)

Say Anything... has its moments, but doesn't do much for me. I should add Ione Skye's beauty resonates with me a lot more than Lloyd Dobler blasting Peter Gabriel.

As for his honorable mentions, I like Nick Park and Jan Svankmajer, though I'm not sure why Jesse includes shorts.

Most Peter Greenaway bores me, but he did his best work with The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, And Her Lover. I don't like Jane Campion that much either (actually haven't seen her highly regarded Bright Star yet), but I like Sweetie.

I'm a fan of Kaurismaki, and Leningrad Cowboys Go America is one of his better films.

Now for the stuff Jesse left out. I'm sure he's aware of much of it, and these titles just didn't rate.

There are at least three that would make my top ten.

First, Parenthood, a fine ensemble comedy, with a great script. Probably Ron Howard's best.

Second, The Little Mermaid, which is not only a classic, but historically important because it ushered in Disney's second golden age of animation.

Third, and this may be my film of the year, Heathers. Dan Waters' script is one of the most quoteable ever, and I only wish they'd shot his dark ending.

Here are some other movies from 1989 year that I like, in various degrees:

Back to the Future Part II (not as good as the original, but very clever and underappreciated), Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure (which taught us to be excellent to each other), Cousins, Dead Calm, The Fabulous Baker Boys (not much of a story, but three great performances and Michelle Pfeiffer at her most beautiful), Field of Dreams (for a mainstream film, surprisingly unconventional in form), Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones And the Last Crusade (should have been the farewell to a fine saga), Penn & Teller Get Killed, Road House (THE Patrick Swayze film), Uncle Buck (a rare endearing psychotic character), When Harry Met Sally... (what happened to Rob Reiner?).

The following are film of 1989 which some considered to be of considerable merit:

The Abyss, Batman, Born on the Fourth of July, Camille Claudel, Casualties of War, Cinema Paradiso, Dead Poets Society, Enemies, a Love Story, Glory, Henry V, My Left Foot, Roger & Me, Sex, lies, and Videotape (ushered in the indie era as much as any film), The War of the Roses.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

You've actually done a good job of explaining why Do the Right Thing works for me. The structure works against Lee's tendency to let his stories sprawl, and his muddled opinions work against his tendency to get didactic. That said, I'm glad to learn that someone is still willing to take Daisy's side of the dispute. (Note, though that when speaking of the acting in Daisy you must also contend with Dan Aykroyd's failed attempt to go straight.)

I like Heathers. If it had come out when I was in high school rather than when I was in college, it might be one of my favorite movies. As it was, though, it felt a little too obvious to me in various places.

The Little Mermaid is certainly better than average for latter-day Disney, but I prefer the classics. Parenthood was an OK way to pass two hours but didn't make much of an impression on me.

Batman might have made my list, by the way, if it weren't for Robert Wuhl. Boy, but his performance was annoying. Does the world really need a poor man's Steve Gutenberg?

I'm not a Jane Campion fan either, incidentally, but her pre-Piano period has some gems. Angel at My Table will rank highly when I get to 1990. And while in a better year Sweetie wouldn't have made the list, it does have that quirky indie sensibility down pat. I like it much more than sex, lies, and videotape.

-Jesse

P.S. I'm not surprised that you haven't seen Motel. I think I may be one of about five people in the world who has seen it, and that was because a former editor of mine taped it off POV and told me I needed to see it. Hunt it down and watch it. It's really terrific.

1:16 PM, December 29, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Dan Aykroyd was nominated for an Oscar for his work in Driving Miss Daisy. I wouldn't say his attempt to go straight failed so much as his whole acting career in any style fell apart after this movie.

I didn't like Batman, but I'm surprised Robert Wuhl, who plays a minor role, would make a difference to anyone.

1:44 PM, December 29, 2009  
Blogger Jesse said...

Failed artistically, I mean. Oscar nom or not.

4:26 PM, December 29, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hate hate hate roadhouse. Cannot believe you thought it was good in any way.

AAGuy

6:50 PM, December 29, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

What can I say--it's what movie entertainment should be.

“Pain don’t hurt”

“This place has a sign hangin’ over the urinal that says, 'Don’t eat the big white mint.'”

"Nobody ever wins a fight."

"Being called a cocksucker isn't personal?"
"No. It's two nouns combined to elicit a prescribed response."
"What if somebody calls my momma a whore?"
“Is she?”

"I thought you’d be bigger."
"Gee, I've never heard that before"

"What am I supposed to do?"
"There's always barber college."

“I want you to be nice until it’s time to not be nice.”

"I heard you had balls big enough to come in a dump truck, but you don't look like much to me."
"Opinions vary."

7:28 PM, December 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter