Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tis The Season

When I attended the University of Michigan, there were a lot of pizzerias. One place, headquarted in town, sold better than the others. Not because it was the best, but because it had good deals and promised delivery in 30 minutes or less.

Domino's became a pizza behemoth. But as it spread, it seemed more and more people felt the need to insult it. I never thought it was that bad, but okay, there's better pizza out there.

I guess they've done market research, and discovered the public associates their crust with cardboard and their sauce with ketchup. So they've put out some pretty amazing commercials where they admit they stink. But, they explain, they've overhauled the recipe. It'll have "bolder, richer sauce, a more robust cheese combination and herb- and garlic-flavored crust."

Haven't tried it yet. Don't really eat Domino's much. But it doesn't sound better. Quality cheese I like--doesn't have to be that robust. Worse, just simple, well-done crust really makes a pizza, but overseasoned crust will make it worse.

I suppose I'll give it a shot, but if you season up a storm to make the taste better, it's almost always a mistake.

5 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I thought it was a stupid commercial but I have had the new product (me and my son probably eat it once every two weeks or so) and think it tastes better (though I wouldn't have associated the better taste with any of the things they mention). Maybe its just the suggestion that its better

5:55 AM, January 20, 2010  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I haven't bought a Domino's pizza in probably 15 years. The ad is effective because I will try the new formula. Of course, since I don't even like Pizza Hut anymore (when price was my number obne consideration, Pizza Hut was my choice), they will have had to make some serious improvements to win me back from Pudge Bros. or Blackjack.

9:19 AM, January 20, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly their crusts still taste like cardboard, albeit now it is garlic flavored cardboard. otherwise the pizza is considerably better. Sauce, cheese are much improved. Much rather have any number of others but they have got my business in last few months because of convenience.

AAGuy

3:05 PM, January 20, 2010  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

I'm consistently amazed that Domino's and Pizza Hut stay in business in my neighborhood. We can argue the merits of Umberto's vs. King Umberto's vs. Vaccarro's vs. Joe's, but if you have taste buds you've got to know that any one of them is worlds better than the chain places. We're way too far out in the boonies for it to be tourists, so who the heck is buying that crap?

8:47 PM, January 20, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well McDonald's has existed and succeeded for years despite the prevalence of better burgers almost anywhere.

I've often thought that McD's doesn't really compete with burgers (well maybe their newer products do) because their basic hamburger is really not a "burger" but a completely separate product that exists in its own taste universe.

I guess Domino's hasn't acheived that status- its just basic (or has become the basic in the American mind)

4:30 AM, January 21, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter