Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Polyglot Plight

While shopping at my favorite retail establishment, I heard two women speaking in a foreign tongue. I said "what language are you speaking?--sounds Eastern European." One of them said, somewhat curtly, "it's Russian."

They seemed insulted.  Why?  Does Russia have nothing to do with Eastern Europe?  Did they think it so obvious they were speaking Russian that it'd be like not knowing Spanish when you hear it? (The store bordered on a heavily Russian area.) Were they thinking "dumb American, I bet he can't tell Latvian from Estonian"?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or maybe they thought it was just rude for a complete stranger to barge on up to them and interrupt their conversation to ask what they CRAZY moon man gibberish coming out of their mouths was.

12:19 AM, November 23, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were they hot? Maybe it was just a hot chick thing.

4:07 AM, November 23, 2010  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Yup, I'd lay my money on the hot chick theory. I bet they've heard that question as the opening for a lame pick-up attempt enough times that they wouldn't assume it was instead a serious request for information.

6:22 AM, November 23, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was the next question "Are you moles?"

7:15 AM, November 23, 2010  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Anon, you left out a couple of letters in spelling "models." This is LA, remember. Let's follow the script.

8:53 AM, November 23, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking of Anna Chapman and Putin's other spies

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/spy_ring_qzWW8bImf9yEDTbtXcQnUL

11:24 AM, November 23, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're too credulous, anon. Our QG has a dry sense of humor.

SWMBCg, etc.

1:13 PM, November 23, 2010  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Shush, CG. I've learned from my Brooklyn hipster colleagues that it's even more dry and ironical if some people don't "get it." Now where did I park my fixster when drunk on PBRs last night....

6:47 AM, November 26, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter