Tuesday, February 01, 2011

JB

John Barry has died.  He was one of the most successful film composers of our time. He won five Oscars and scored over 100 films and TV shows.

He's probably best known for his work on the James Bond series.  He didn't officially create the James Bond theme--it's credited solely to Monty Norman--but at the very least he took the basic notes and orchestrated them in a way that made them as recognizable as any tune in the world.



He had a modern sound, often incorporating a certain jazziness, such as this theme from The Knack:



Another famous melody is his haunting (a cliche that fits) theme to Midnight Cowboy.



I think he did his best stuff in the 60s, but he continued scoring significant films almost to the end. Some of his work: Born Free, The Lion In Winter, Mary Queen Of Scots, Robin And Marian, The Deep, Out Of Africa, Dances With Wolves, Chaplin and Indecent Proposal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

"You Only Live Twice" is my favorite mellow song in the world. I may prefer instrumental versions of the theme, but I wonder if John Barry wrote the lyrics?

I think it's the slightly tropical feel to the music that brings me back to it again and again whenever I'm feeling particularly tense or upset.

9:26 AM, February 02, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Barry didn't write lyrics. I believe they were by songwriter Leslie Bricusse, best known for his work with Anthony Newley.

9:39 AM, February 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter