Saturday, March 26, 2011

Maum's The Word

I picked up a free pamphlet about Maum Meditation.  Apparently it was introduced in Korea in the 1990s, and is designed to sweep away our illusions and allow us to live in the real universe.

There's a seven-step method which is described thus:

Level 1:  Subtracting the remembered thoughts

Level 2:  Subtracting the images of myself, images of my human relationships, and myself

Level 3:  Subtracting my body

Level 4:  Subtracting my body and the universe

Level 5:  Subtracting my body and the universe

Level 6:  The self disappears by subtraction and I become the universe

Level 7:  Subtracting the illusionary world of pictures and myself living inside that world

I have no idea how effective this process is, though the pamphlet included several testimonials.  But I must say, levels four and five seem a bit redundant.  I know it's a big step, but couldn't they just make it a single, long one?  While we're at it, I think we could cut level three as well, and fold it into four.  Bam, now it's a five-step method.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you subtract it twice, doesn't that leave you with an extra body?

3:15 AM, March 26, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow it this what sports commentators mean when they go on about addition by subtraction

6:07 AM, March 26, 2011  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Reminds me of the time that Buffy the Vampire Slayer skewered one of the cliches that I hate the most.

WESLEY: I expect you to be ready for anything. Remember the three key words for any Slayer: preparation, preparation, preparation.

BUFFY: That's one word three times.

9:07 PM, March 26, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter