Friday, September 30, 2011

Beautiful Marilyn

Happy birthday, Marilyn McCoo. She had a solo career, but is best known for the lovely singing, and presence, she lent to the 5th Dimension.  (She's the tall one.)

The group had a bunch of top ten hits in the late 60s/early 70s, including a couple of #1's--"Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In," "Wedding Bell Blues"--and others just as good, such as "Up, Up And Away," "Stoned Soul Picnic" and "(Last Night) I Didn't Get To Sleep At All."





PS Some comments from YouTube

this brings back memories for my dad...........he was working in the psych ward while getting his degree in psychology. he had a patient who would sing ["Up, Up And Away"] nonstop.

What an African American woman actually singing and not have to whore herself out on sex appeal like Nicki Minaj, Lil Kim, etc. !! It only happened in the sixties I guess..

I have to glue my feet to the floor when I hear marilyn Macoo sing, I break out in Motown. ..the greatest music ever !!!

(The song may bring back memories, but I think most people know The 5th Dimension were not a Motown act during their glory years.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course most people don't even know what Motown is, much less who is and isn't Motown or when.

But within what you mean, do most people know who is and isn't in Motown? I'd say not likely.

3:31 AM, September 30, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I think they get the core of Motown--The Supremes, Smokey Robinson, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Martha And The Vandellas, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Jackson Five and a few others. But then they expand it and think any black or soul act in the 60s or early 70s might be in there too.

10:35 AM, September 30, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter