Thursday, December 08, 2011

Morgan At Night

Harry Morgan has died. Just before I heard I happened to be watching, for the first time in years, an episode of Dragnet. I was admiring how Morgan carried the deadpan humor of the show. (Yes, Dragnet had humor.)



Morgan was best known as Colonel Potter on M*A*S*H, though that was well into his career (and not his first role on that TV show--seeing him in the earlier episode can be confusing).  He replaced McLean Stevenson's Henry Blake, and signified the show was becoming more dramatic.  But what impressed me  about his performance was how his character managed to have a authority without going overboard, and was even capable of taking part in farcical moments.



Morgan started in the movies in the 40s and did a lot of memorable supporting work.  I think my favorite work of his in film is as a gangster in The Big Clock.  With almost no lines he manages to be an ominous presence.

He became a TV star in the 50s as Pete Porter on the sitcom December Bride and its spinoff Pete And Gladys.  From then on he did a lot more work in TV than movies, such as the shows above.

From all accounts he was a sweet man, unassuming and funny.  Due to M*A*S*H he became sort of a father figure to America--kindly if occasionally stern--and I think that suited him best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter