Friday, August 24, 2012

Look Who's Talking

I was raised in the suburbs of Detroit and went to college at the University of Michigan, so I thought it was pretty rude when students from other states made fun of my accent. First, I didn't have one.  Second, even if I did, it was like making fun of an Irish brogue in Ireland.

They said I said "car" like "caaaaaar" with a very flat "a." (For some reason "car" was the word they noticed--once again, if anyone knows how to pronounce that word, it's Detroiters.) I didn't hear it--I hear myself say "cahhhr"--and sometimes thought they said something closer to "core."

Anyway, turns out there is a big regional dialect around the Great Lakes, as Rob Mifsud notes in Slate.  It's called the NCS--Northern Cities Shift--even though it's spread beyond cities. He goes on to explain how it started and how the vowels are changing.  He also talks about research that shows those who speak in NCS don't even recognize it. (Though I find it hard to believe I wouldn't know the difference between "cat" and "cot.")

I admit when I go back home I don't really notice it, though occasionally when I'm in Chicago the people on the street do sound a bit like the SNL  Bears' fan parody.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn UMer's made fun of me for warshing my car.

Can't even say it anymore. Damn them.

ColumbusGuy

3:02 AM, August 24, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Western PA, I felt superior to the yokels who said "Worshington DC" because I said "Warshington"

3:46 AM, August 24, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I've always assumed no one can "hear" their own accent. They just hear normal and accents are whatever other people sound like that's different.

I once ran into a linguist who was able to tell that I had a parent from Philadelphia, and another from Europe. He couldn't specify where I had grown up (near NYC) because of the mix in slight accents, but did figure it was the Eastern seaboard. His name was not Henry Higgens.

9:47 AM, August 24, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

P.S. One give away for me being from back east apparently is that I say "are-ange" for "orange." I absolutely don't hear it, but my daughter gives me endless grief over it. And my wife says "meer" for mirror, being from upsate NY by Lake Erie. Apparently Colorado has no accent (in her opinion)

9:51 AM, August 24, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming from the Midwest, it really does jar on me when out East they say "hahrible" rather than "whorible."

10:19 AM, August 24, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a description of character?

4:33 PM, August 24, 2012  
Anonymous AJD said...

It's not about knowing the *difference* between "cat" and "cot". "Cat" and "cot" are as different from each other in the NCS as they are in any other accent. But the point is that the NCS way of pronouncing "cot" is closer to the non-NCS way of pronouncing "cat" than the NCS pronunciation of "cat" is.

11:17 AM, August 25, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't that mean that non-NCS speakers would have trouble understanding "cat" too in the opposite direction?

11:47 AM, August 25, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter