Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Greatest Generation?

Jesse continues with his top ten lists and I'm catching up. This time it's for 1992. (He's actually revising an older list, but this is the first time I get to write about it.)

1. Glengarry Glen Ross
2. Unforgiven
3. Brother's Keeper
4. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
5. Prime Suspect 2
6. Food
7. Porco Rosso
8. Reservoir Dogs
9. The Player
10. Candyman

I like Glengarry Glen Ross a lot, though I'm not sure if it's top ten material.  I don't like Unforgiven at all (and it's not backlash--I felt that way before it won the Best Picture Oscar).  Brother's Keeper is good, and I agree that the Twin Peaks movie doesn't get the credit it deserves.  I love Food but, as Jesse knows, I don't believe shorts should be on these lists.  Never saw Porco RossoReservoir Dogs should be here.  The Player I found disappointing, and Candyman only so-so.

His honorable mentions:

11. Swoon
12. A Brief History of Time
13. The Crying Game
14. Wayne's World
15. My New Gun
16. L.627
17. Barjo
18. Léolo
19. Rock Hudson's Home Movies
20. Malcolm X

Haven't seen 11, 15, 17 or 18.  I like 12.  !3 isn't bad, though the surprise was so big it's hard to judge it after that.  14 wasn't great.  Liked 16.  Like 19 a lot.  Didn't particularly like 20 (and I still want to know if it was Macolm X or Spike Lee who stole from Cole Porter).

Here are some films that would have made my top ten:

Aladdin

My Cousin Vinny

The Story Of Qiu Ju

Some other films I liked:

Bad Lieutenant, Diggstown, El Mariachi, Careful, A Few Good Men, Housesitter, A League Of Their Own (but that awful, lengthy framing device!), Love Potion No. 9, Memoirs Of An Invisible Man (for all its flaws), Mistress and Into The Soup (two films about the movie business better than The Player), Police Story 3

Other 1992 films of note:

1991: The Year Punk Broke, Alien 3, Basic Instinct, Batman Returns, Belle Epoque, Bob Roberts, The Bodyguard, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Chaplin, Un Coeur En Hiver, Death Becomes Her, Far And Away, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Hard Boiled, Hero, Hoffa, Honey, I Blew Up The Kids, Honeymoon In Vegas, Howard's End, Husbands And Wives, Indochine, Into The West, Jamon, Jamon, The Lawnmower Man, The Last Of The Mohicans, Leap Of faith, Like Water For Chocolate, Lorenzo's Oil, Love Field, The Lover, Luna Park, The Mambo Kings, Man Bites Dog, Man Trouble, Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky And The Media, The Mighty Ducks, Mister Saturday Night, New Dragon Gate Inn, Noises Off, Passion Fish, Patriot Games, A River Runs Through It, Romper Stomper, Scent Of A Woman, School Ties, Shakes The Clown, Single White Female, Singles, Sister Act, Strictly Ballroom, This Is My Life, Toys, The Waterdance, White Men Can't Jump

4 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

It's impossible to dislike My Cousin Vinny, but it doesn't seem like top ten material to me.

I thought about giving Malcolm X a "best mess" award, but I decided the good elements were good enough to let it slip in to the end of the list. But I don't like it as much now as I did when it came out.

5:08 AM, December 27, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked Belle Epoque - it came from the era of cool Spanish films (Almodovar etc)and just now realize that was Penelope Cruz

8:18 AM, December 27, 2012  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I'm surprised Scent of a Woman wasn't on either of your lists. I also liked Last of the Mohicans, Howard's End and A River Runs Through It, which were pretty highly aclaimed at the time (which was why I went to see them - I wasn't seeing very many films in 1992).

Any of those would replace Porco Rosso and Candyman. And I would up Crying Game into the top ten.

I haven't seen it, but a sequel (Prime Suspect 2) is of top ten quality? Is it better than Prime Suspect 1 (which I also haven't seen)?

8:23 AM, December 27, 2012  
Blogger Jesse said...

At the time I would have ranked Prime Suspect 2 a little bit higher than 1, though I'm a fan of both. Not sure how I'd feel if I watched them back to back again now.

Each one is a TV miniseries, so this isn't the normal sequel situation—more like the second season of a TV show being better than the first.

11:47 AM, December 27, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter