Saturday, April 06, 2013

Left Turn On La Brea

For years when I go south from Hollywood, I take Highland--probably the best of the north-south roads. (Not saying much in Los Angeles traffic.)

But recently I went down La Brea, which is usually pretty slow.  And when I hit 4th Street what did I see but a giant chrome head of Lenin.

The piece is entitled "Miss Mao Trying to poise Herself at the Top of Lenin's Head"--if you look closely (and few do) it's got a small figure atop Lenin with a balancing stick.  The work was created by Chinese brothers Gao Zhen and Gao Qiang, and was apparently causing an uproar elsewhere before it found its present location.

I'm sure the artists can explain the meaning of their work, but all I can say is it's creepy.  I don't need to see a giant head of Lenin when I'm driving.  I don't need to see the giant head of anyone, but especially not of some ruthless dictator.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need more public art like this

5:12 AM, April 06, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Would you care to elaborate?

12:27 PM, April 06, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It lead to a post and a discussion. It stimulated brain cells. It breaks the pedestrian stream of buildings and logos.

3:42 PM, April 06, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It also scares the shit out of the unprepared.

1:05 AM, April 07, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter