Monday, April 22, 2013

Return To Normalcy

The GLAAD media awards are out. (Is it that time of year already?)

Advocate for Change Award goes to Bill Clinton. Fine, he's publicly changed his mind on gay issues and who wouldn't want a former President at the ceremony?

Outstanding Film goes to The Perks Of Being A Wallflower.  Hey, it made my top ten, so I'm not complaining.

Outstanding Comedy Series, The New Normal.  Now wait a second.  I watched the first two episodes and decided to jump off that train.  The critics haven't treated it too kindly, either.  I have a number of sitcom writer friends who consider it one of the worst shows on TV.

I think what we've got here is a symptom of awards from groups with a specific focus.  GLAAD advocates for LGBT issues, so a series like The New Normal, about a gay couple and their surrogate mom, is right up their alley.  But isn't there any place for quality here? Perhaps the show has gotten better since I stopped watching, but shouldn't the "outstanding" award go to a show that's actually good, and not just on point?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something which
helped me. Many thanks!

My web-site; does raspberry ketones work

2:56 AM, April 22, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Anon #1 talking about the New Normal? The best and only good part of that show is watching Ellen Barkin channel Angie Dickinson. (but where has Ellen been?)

5:44 AM, April 22, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Angie, we'll never forget her!

5:43 PM, April 22, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter