Wednesday, May 01, 2013

East Coast Oscars

The Tony Award nominations are out.  I haven't seen a single production, so I can't comment on the wisdom of the nominations--in fact, I don't remember the last time I knew so little about the nominees--but I've still got a few notes.

First, as always, the voters seem attracted to big names. I'm hoping that's because Broadway has attracted plenty of names doing good work, but I fear it may just be them wanting bigger celebrities at the ceremony.

What names?  Well, for best actor in a play, you've got David Hyde Pierce, Nathan Lane and Tom Hanks.  For best actress in a play, Laurie Metcalf, Holland Taylor and Cicely Tyson.

Second, here's the list for best musical:

Bring it On: The Musical

A Christmas Story, The Musical

Kinky Boots

Matilda The Musical

Once again, I haven't seen the productions, so maybe I'm being unfair, but this list doesn't seem to say too much for originality.  Every single one is an adaptation of a movie. (Three of them announce they're "The Musical" version of a title--is that necessary?) Musicals have often been adapted from other sources, but must they all be feel-good, and generally trivial movies?

Finally (in a point that somewhat contradicts my first one), there seem to be some interesting snubs.  Some big names dropped in on Broadway this season, but the voters turned up their noses.  Thus, nothing for Bette Midler, Alec Baldwin, Alan Cumming, Jessica Chastain, Scarlett Johansson and Katie Holmes.  Will they turn up at the ceremony, or flee back to Hollywood?

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I saw Pippin in Boston preview in January (10 nominations)- quite the spectacle. Very very circus like and Andrea Martin does a neat 63 year old turn on the trapeze

4:10 AM, May 01, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm sure Andrea Martin would be good in that role, but I've never thought much of the show.

10:11 AM, May 01, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter