Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Of 42

I finally got around to seeing 42, the story of Jackie Robinson.  It's a story worth telling, and the movie does a reasonable job of it.  But, as so often happens, I'm watching a scene and suddenly taken out of it by an anachronistic phrase.

In particular, there's the moment when someone tells Jackie "Branch Rickey told me to get you out A-S-A-P."  It's the 1940s, people are not saying "A-S-A-P" or even "ASAP." I don't think the phrase had even been invented yet.

A bit later, one of the ballplayers wants to make sure he and Jackie are "on the same page." Remember, these are the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947.

I can understand if a film is set in the 1400s and you want them to talk a bit more like we do today so we understand them. I can even understand using words widely accepted today--like "racism" or "racist"--that weren't so common in the 1940s.  But specific slang that wasn't widely used until decades later?  The filmmakers spent a lot of money to get the look right--costumes, hair, sets, cars.  Is it too much to ask them to let a linguist read through the script and red flag a term or two?  I mean, they wouldn't say Jackie Robinson played for the Los Angeles Dodgers, would they?

2 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I thought ASAP was a military acronym/slang dating from World War II (or earlier= maybe to save on telegraph clicks?) but I can't find a source for that right now.

I do recall SNAFU and FUBAR date from the same era (though they were fed up GI's acronyms relating to army procedure not official abbreviations which ASAP is)

12:05 PM, June 23, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I just checked and the phrase ASAP has, indeed, a military origin. However, the earliest instances found are in the mid-50s.

I didn't need to do this research for my post, though, since I can personally testify that people were not saying ASAP in general conversation when I was a kid. Nor do you find it in TV shows or movies from the 60s and 70s. (Really that's why it got to me--I've seen a lot of films from the 40s and no one says ASAP, and suddenly here it was in a film set in the 40s.)

It's been common enough for a couple decades, but if someone said it, say, in 1965, they'd probably get a quizzical glance.

12:47 PM, June 23, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter