Monday, December 16, 2013

Running Rings Around

Hmm.

"Most influential" and similar polls generally strike me as inherently invalid. By and large I can't imagine they are anything other than "say the name of first famous important person you think of who isn't Miley Cyrus."

So unsurprisingly the president always wins because our press by and large behave as if they are lazy idiots of the first order and feel they must report on the president every day, no matter how inconsequential his activities may be.

Even so, pollsters justify such nonsense polling as showing "top of mind" attitudes and awareness, no matter how loosely connected such tomsense may be.

So what does it mean that Ted Cruz is third most influential, behind the "I am not a Marxist" Marxist Pope Francis (how did he beat King Barack I?) and Dear Leader?

That somehow does not have the ring of truth to me. And for my liberal friends, I'm sure it's leading us right down into a ring of fire.

p.s. Miley twerked in at No. 8. Personally, I'm going with "not sure," only because they didn't offer "how the frack should I know." It's top of mind.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a meaningless poll to begin with, but what I want to know is are the people mentioning Cruz Republicans or people who hate Republicans. I'm guessing the latter.

10:35 AM, December 16, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is tom?

10:58 AM, December 16, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Most Influential" polls are about as meaningful as the Consumer Confidence Index and the various Job Approval ratings

11:03 AM, December 16, 2013  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

top of mind

4:10 PM, December 16, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shouldn't make your neologisms look like typos

4:46 PM, December 16, 2013  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

I can't stand scare quotes, though. Flashing red font, then? I wonder if html still supports that . . .

Maybe a subtle hyphen.

I admit, it's a problem. If I were Mencken I'd address it. Volume 5 of the American Language.

2:41 PM, December 17, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sic?

7:00 AM, December 18, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sic?

7:00 AM, December 18, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sick.

10:59 AM, December 18, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter