Friday, February 28, 2014

Someone's Gotta Win

The Oscars are on Sunday, so I suppose I might as well give my picks.

Best picture
"12 Years a Slave"
"The Wolf of Wall Street"
"Captain Phillips"
"Her"
"American Hustle"
"Gravity"
"Dallas Buyers Club"
"Nebraska"
"Philomena"
 
I'd pick American Hustle.  The battle is between that, 12 Years A Slave and Gravity, and though 12 Years is generally favored, I think the votes will split right for American Hustle anyway.
 
Best director
Steve McQueen -- "12 Years a Slave"
David O. Russell -- "American Hustle"
Alfonso Cuaron -- "Gravity"
Alexander Payne -- "Nebraska"
Martin Scorsese -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
 
The Academy will go with Cuaron, who made the entire thing possible.  I agree.
 
Best actor
Bruce Dern -- "Nebraska"
Chiwetel Ejiofor -- "12 Years a Slave"
Matthew McConaughey -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Leonardo DiCaprio -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Christian Bale -- "American Hustle"

I'd choose Matthew McConaughey, and I think he'll win in a close vote.
 
Best actress
Amy Adams -- "American Hustle"
Cate Blanchett -- "Blue Jasmine"
Judi Dench -- "Philomena"
Sandra Bullock -- "Gravity"
Meryl Streep -- "August: Osage County"
 
I suppose I'd pick Judi Dench, but Cate Blanchett is the lock of the night.
 
Best supporting actor
Barkhad Abdi -- "Captain Phillips"
Bradley Cooper -- "American Hustle"
Jonah Hill -- "The Wolf of Wall Street"
Jared Leto -- "Dallas Buyers Club"
Michael Fassbender -- "12 Years a Slave"
 
This is usually the best category, but is surprisingly weak this year.  Jared Leto will probably win, but I guess I'd choose Barkhad Abdi.
 
Best supporting actress
Jennifer Lawrence -- "American Hustle"
Lupita Nyong'o -- "12 Years a Slave"
June Squibb -- "Nebraska"
Julia Roberts -- "August: Osage County"
Sally Hawkins -- "Blue Jasmine"
 
Some interesting choices.  Lupita Nyong'o is the favorite.  I might choose Julia Roberts.

Best original screenplay
"American Hustle" -- David O. Russell and Eric Warren Singer
"Blue Jasmine" -- Woody Allen
"Her" -- Spike Jonze
"Nebraska" -- Bob Nelson
"Dallas Buyers Club" -- Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack
 
An easy pick for me--American Hustle.  That should be about as easy for the Academy.
 
Best adapted screenplay
"12 Years a Slave" -- John Ridley
"Before Midnight" -- Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater
"The Wolf of Wall Street" -- Terence Winter
"Captain Phillips" -- Billy Ray
"Philomena" -- Steve Coogan and Jeff Pope
 
I suppose 12 Years A Slave is the favorite. I suppose I'd pick Philomena.
 
Best animated feature
"The Wind Rises"
"Frozen"
"Despicable Me 2"
"Ernest & Celestine"
"The Croods"
 
Some decent choices here, but Frozen is the easy winner.  (I actually have a friend nominated in this category for The Croods. I'm rooting for her but the odds aren't great.)
 
Best short film, live action
"Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn't Me)"
"Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before Losing Everything)"
"Helium"
"Pitaako Mun Kaikki Hoitaa? (Do I Have to Take Care of Everything?)"
"The Voorman Problem"
 
None of them are great, but I guess "Avant Qeu De Tout Perdre" is the best.
 
Best short film, animated
"Feral"
"Get a Horse!"
"Mr. Hublot"
"Possessions"
"Room on the Broom"
 
"Possessions" is well done, but gotta go with "Get A Horse!," which, while not as charming as it could be, is still pretty dazzling.
 
Can't say too much about the rest, except you can expect Gravity to win a bunch of technical awards.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is not The Great Escape's Steve McQueen?- I just figured that out - I thought these industry types weren't allowed to copy names or is that just a SAG union rule that doesn't apply to directors.

Ellen is too good-hearted acting to expect any good lines. Here's hoping some true nastiness shows up.

6:05 AM, February 28, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SAG and DGA are two different guilds. Note there's Paul Anderson and Paul Thomas Anderson.

8:38 AM, February 28, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter