Sunday, January 17, 2016

Ten Months Notice

If you check our archives, you'll see this blog began in 2004 just before the Bush/Kerry election.  It was started by Pajama Guy himself, and I came aboard on his invitation soon after.  Pajama Guy left before too long, and ever since I've been this blog's mainstay.

I actually did it as a lark.  In the first few months I wondered how I could keep going--how will I find new things to say?  Once I realized you don't have to have anything to say, it got easier.

Since then I've continued this blog not only as a way of communicating occasional thoughts, but as something to force myself to write every day.  I saw it as an exercise to keep my writing tools in fighting trim.  (I think that's a mixed metaphor, but who's counting?)

For a while now I've been thinking it's probably time to move on (and perhaps some readers feel the same way).  If I haven't mastered blog writing by now, I never will.  So here we are, in another election year.  I think I've got enough left in me to stick around and greet our new President.  But after that, I may be done.  Certainly as a regular writer.  Maybe I'll still do some annual features, or drop in when there's something to say.

Anyway, I thought I'd let you know.  That should give everyone plenty of time to make the transition to something else.

9 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Unmatched grace and intelligence. We have no claim to it, but it is an irreplaceable loss nonetheless. I suppose in your circles you see more good writing than I do, but even so, what a collection you've created and what an example you've set.

2:55 AM, January 17, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Thanks. Though a bit early for the obit. For all we know the internet will be destroyed before I leave.

12:06 PM, January 17, 2016  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

We're getting a new president this year? If I had heard that a couple years ago I would have figured anyone would be an improvement. But now I'm not so sure.

Sad to see you go. I agree with CG that your writing style is wonderful. I have enjoyed reading posts written by you that were on topics that I would never have been interested in, but they were interesting when you wrote them.

4:39 PM, January 17, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Thanks. It's nice to hear from you. I thought perhaps you'd retired from leaving comments.

5:01 PM, January 17, 2016  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Not intentionally -- just been very busy.

9:18 PM, January 17, 2016  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Say it isn't so. A combination of your posts and an Amazon Prime subscription (and a kid away at college) have led me to watch a lot great old maybe middling cinema (I like middling)

5:17 AM, January 18, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

You can always check the archives for suggestions. Old movies are always new.

11:01 AM, January 18, 2016  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Well, I will certainly miss the regular reports for Hollywood. I have a brother in LA, but he doesn't tell me anything. I hope one or more folks will pick up the slack, because even occaisional articles would be great to have. And maybe LA Guy can clue us in on what other sites he hangs out and contributes.

8:48 AM, January 20, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

There are plenty of places to hang out on the internet, of course, but I have to admit none quite like Pajama Guy.

9:50 AM, January 20, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter