Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Bet Your Bottom Dollar

It always strikes me as odd when a cashier uses that felt tip pen to check if a $100 bill is good.  I mean, if someone's gone to the trouble of counterfeiting money, you'd think they could figure out how to pass the magic marker test.

In fact, I bet those pens don't work.  They're like the "close door" button on a elevator--it makes you feel good, but doesn't do anything. In any case, I'm sure the security thread test, or the watermark test, are a lot harder to pass, and certainly easier to check for.

Anyway, if you really want to discover a bogus bill, there are machines that do it.  Don't be a skinflint.  Buy one and be safe forever.

Recently, I've noticed they've been checking smaller denominations.  Just yesterday I had a $20 bill checked, and I swear I saw someone check a $5.  Come on, is it worth it?  You're slowing down business, and anyway, if someone's going to counterfeit something, wouldn't it be the largest denomination?

I wonder if it's all part of a grand scheme to phase out money.  I'm still not ready for that.  Sometimes you want your purchases to be off the grid.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I'm probably naive, but I just can't help but persist in believing that the "Close Door" button, in some circumstances, must do something.

Elevators often have a keyhole that allows a repairman to take manual control, or override its programming, or something like that. Maybe when it's in manual mode, the "Close Door" button closes the door?

I know there is no scientific evidence for such speculation. Maybe it's just a matter of faith.

5:30 PM, March 20, 2018  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Some close door buttons do work. But, I've been told, many have been disconnected, or don't really do anything except calm down anxious people.

5:52 PM, March 20, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it calms them down, all right. Until they realize they've been had. Then you get Trump.

2:13 AM, March 21, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what was the best thing about Obama? We had eight years without stupid jokes like the above.

8:55 AM, March 21, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, you nailed it. That was in fact the best thing about Obama.

5:54 PM, March 21, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter