Thursday, July 19, 2018

A Trophy That Should Atrophy

The ESPYS were on last night.  I didn't watch them.  I never watch them.

I don't get it.  Why would you have a show to give awards to sports stars?  Sure, with actors I understand.  They're not normally in competition, so giving awards for their artistry is kind of fun (even if some believe they shouldn't be doing it).

But sports?  They're already involved in competition.  And they have awards.  If you win you get a medal or something.  A Super Bowl Ring.  A Stanley Cup. And, more important, you already know you won--everyone knows you won--so you have a sense of accomplishment.

For that matter, they have other awards when you don't necessarily win the championship.  If you have an outstanding season, you can win an MVP awards.  Many sports have other specific awards that are voted on--the Cy Young Award, the Lady Byng Trophy and so on.

So what's the point of more awards?  Which is why I don't watch.  The awards are unnecessary as is my viewership.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter