Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Rumours Has It

In the past I've ranked songs on Beatles albums.  I think they're the best band with the best songs, but since I've been saluting the songwriting members of Fleetwood Mac this year, I figured I'd rank the songs on their bestselling and best album Rumours, since pretty much every song is good.  (I know some Fleetwood Mac fans prefer their earlier, blues-based sound, but sorry, I like the later phase best, as does most of the world.)

I will not include Stevie Nicks' "Silver Springs" which was cut from the album for being too long and too slow (and relegated to the B-side of "Go Your Own Way," replaced on the album by "I Don't Want To Know"-- "Silver Springs" was later used on their 1997 reunion album The Dance and got a Grammy nomination.)  However, if I did, as much as Nicks liked it, it wouldn't rank high.

1.   Dreams (their only #1 U.S. hit, and still moody and powerful)
2.   I Don't Want To Know (a trifle, but fun)
3.   Never Going Back Again
4.   You Make Loving Fun
5.   Go Your Own Way
6.   Second Hand News
7.   The Chain (the only song written by all members, it's also the most disjointed on the album)
8.   Gold Dust Woman
9.   Don't Stop (a good song, but man has it been overplayed, even more than Go Your Own Way)
10. Songbird
11. Oh Daddy (poor Christine with the two bottom songs)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Makes You Think You're the One

(Is that considered bluesy?)

4:45 PM, September 04, 2018  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Right band, wrong album.

I've never considered it particularly bluesy.

6:08 PM, September 04, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter