Friday, April 26, 2019

Big Time

The stars have aligned so that we have two gigantic pop phenomena unspooling at once.  Avengers: Endgame is out, and expected to shatter opening weekend records, while Game Of Thrones is in its final month of episodes, expected to break HBO ratings records. It's like the Super Bowl and the World Series going on at the same time (Avengers is the Super Bowl--a one-off event---while GOT is the World Series.)

Both feature large casts which have been trying (successfully, I believe) to keep the storyline a secret.  Takes a lot of doing these spoilery days.  I certainly have no idea what to expect (though I suspect the Avengers will succeed).  But what interests me is what will happen a month from now once we know how these stories turn out.

After all, they're not going to stop making Avengers films.  There's too much money to be had. And there are already prequels planned for the GOT world. As for me, I don't care.  I suppose I might go see more Marvel films, though superhero films in general are getting tiresome.  They used to be events, but as monthly appointments with a familiar formula, they're easy to skip.

And I'll probably give up on more Game Of Thrones, as much as I've enjoyed the original.  I'm not a fan of fantasy in general, but even if I were, this particular story was the one worth telling.  I'm not the kind who feels the need for more exploration--or exploitation--of this world.

So enjoy it while you can.  We'll be back to normal soon enough.  Besides, there's new Star Wars later this year.

3 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

Mary has an interest in your work. Have you tried google translate.

12:32 PM, April 27, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I've deleted every other comment from Mary but I guess I'll have to keep this one or your comment will be confusing.

1:49 PM, April 27, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, if you're going to tie yourself down to fixing every confusing comment, you're lost.

Besides, "Mary has an interest in your work" is sort of nice. You might look at it years from now and wonder where Mary got to.

4:32 AM, April 28, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter