Wednesday, August 21, 2019

BS

Sarah Goldberg has been doing great work as Sally on the HBO comedy Barry.  Playing a small-time actress quite taken with herself, she's one of the highlights of the show.  Goldberg's nominated for an Emmy this year, and it would be fine with me if she won.

I was reading an interview with her by Leigh-Ann Jackson in The Hollywood Reporter when I noticed they did something unusual.  They often preview the highlights of the interview, so at the beginning of the piece we get:

The Emmy Nominee ponders the cost of Sally's success, TV's lack of anonymity and hoping for a "Black Swan" moment onscreen: "I want to go the whole way!"

So I read the actual interview and got to this:

Goldberg:  It would be interesting to explore the idea of achieving the success we think we want, but without being fully cooked, without being mentally healthy.

Jackson:  So, you want her to go the full Black Swan?

Goldberg:  Listen!  I want Gena Rowlands.  I want to go the whole way!  I want A Woman Under The Influence.  I want all of it!

See what they did?  Goldberg never said she hoped for a Black Swan moment--that was the suggestion of the interviewer. Even then Goldberg didn't assent--she wants A Woman Under The Influence moment.

The Reporter shouldn't promise things it can't deliver.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, buddy, all they said was she was pondering it--and if she heard it, she must have done.

5:19 PM, August 21, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get it. So someone should ask Joe Biden are you a white supremacist, and then put in the subhead "Biden considers he may be a white supremacist."

6:54 PM, August 21, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perfect. Replace Biden with Trump and you'd be working for the New York Times.

And that's just the news, much less the most important work ever put out by a newsroom, 1619.

9:10 AM, August 22, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter