Thursday, August 08, 2019

Groucho Sent You

I just saw the documentary Mike Wallace Is Here.  Early on it's mentioned that his late-night interview program in the 1950s, Night Beat, stood out.  While others interviews at the time were "vapid," Wallace was asking tough questions.

This filmmakers use a number of examples of the "vapid" style, ending with Groucho Marx on You Bet Your Life complimenting guest Rod Serling. (Actually, I believe it's from the 1960s show Tell It To Groucho, but I'll pretend it's the much more well known 1950s show since that's what they want us to think.) This is how they illustrate their thesis?

You Bet Your Life was a quiz show on 1950s television where host Groucho spent more time talking to his guests than asking them questions for which they'd receive money.  And Groucho's interview style was anything but vapid.

For decades before, he'd been known for the many insults he spoke on stage and on screen.  While he was a little easier on the real people who appeared on his quiz show, he nevertheless was known for his acerbic style and quick comebacks. (There is some question, though, if he ever spoke the most famous line attributed to him--after a woman with 20 children said "I love my husband" Groucho allegedly replied "I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once in awhile.")

To the makers of Mike Wallace Is Here: please fix this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter