Friday, October 04, 2019

Smiley Smile

Today is World Smile Day, the first Friday in October.  It's been celebrated since 1999, so this is the 20th anniversary. The idea is to smile.  Supposedly this will spread cheerfulness.  Also, do a good deed and send a nice note to a friend.

While I'm all in favor of good deeds, I wonder about this smiling business.  Should one smile even when one doesn't feel happy?  There are arguments it's a good idea.

Why?  Some claim since a smile comes (involuntarily) when you're happy, it can also work in reverse.  That the mere physical act of smiling relieves stress and makes you feel better.  I've even heard it can boost your immune system and lower your blood pressure.  And that it makes you look younger, thinner and more successful. (I'm not making this up.  Maybe the others who say this are, but I'm not.)

I really don't know what to say.  I mean, what if I don't want to smile. I'm happy to smile when I feel like it, but when I feel miserable, I'd just as soon stay miserable, thank you very much.  In fact, the idea of smiling when I don't feel like it disturbs me.  Who am I, the Joker?

Anyway, it's World Smile Day.  Smile if you like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter