Friday, January 03, 2020

It Was Bound To Happen

Jesse Walker's top ten list has finally caught up to 1939, the year of Gone With The Wind and The Wizard Of Oz.  The year generally considered Hollywood's (and filmdom's) greatest.

But does Jesse think that?  Well no, actually.  Here's what he does think, starting with the top ten:

1.  The Wizard Of Oz
2.  The Rules Of The Game
3.  Destry Rides Again
4.  Ninotchka
5.  Stagecoach
6.  Midnight
7.  Only Angels Have Wings
8.  It's A Wonderful World
9.  Daybreak
10.  Young Mr. Lincoln

I certainly love The Wizard Of Oz--great score, talented cast, MGM spending money like there's no tomorrow.  Maybe not #1, but top ten, sure.

The Rules Of The Game is a world classic.

Destry Rides Again is a fine comedy-western, top ten but maybe not #3.

Ninotchka is yet another classic, if not as great as Lubitsch's next, The Shop Around The Corner.

I disagree with Jesse on Stagecoach, which I don't think much of.  I admit I haven't seen it in a long time, but that's because early viewings put me off.

Midnight takes a little while to get going, but is a delight.

Only Angels Have Wings would probably be my favorite of the year. (This is what I mean by a film by Hawks starring Grant, as opposed to another Walker favorite, I Was A Male War Bride.)

It's A Wonderful World has two great leads, but is a decidedly second-tier screwball comedy.

Daybreak is pretty good.

I don't love Young Mr. Lincoln, but I'd say it's the best of John Ford's three "classic" films of 1939.

Here are his honorable mentions:

11.  The Story Of The Last Chrysanthemums
12.  Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
13.  You Can't Cheat An Honest Man
14.  The Spy In Black
15.  Of Mice And Men
16.  Peace On Earth
17.  Love Affair
18.  Son Of Frankenstein
19.  The Practical Pig
20.  Le Dernier Tournant

I haven't seen 11, 14 or 20 (though I'd like to).  16 and 19 are animated shorts.

12 is Capra perhaps a little overdone and self-important, but still operating at the height of his powers, so should probably be top ten (and almost is to Jesse). 13 is W. C. Field's not at his best, but pretty good.  15 is so-so.  17 is a weird mix from McCarey--it starts as romantic comedy and ends as melodrama.  It's never bad but I wish he'd stuck to comedy.  18 is better than a programmer, but not quite a James Whale Frankenstein.


Other films that would make my top ten or twenty:

A Chump At Oxford

The Roaring Twenties

The Story Of Vernon And Irene Castle (one of Astaire and Roger's weakest but still nostalgic fun)


Other films I like:

Another Thin Man, Babes In Arms, Bachelor Mother, Beau Geste, The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes, At The Circus (though far from the Marx Brothers' best), The Cat And The Canary, Dodge City, Each Dawn I Die, The Flying Deuces, Gulliver's Travels, The Hound Of The Baskervilles


Other films of the year:

Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever, Dark Victory, Five Came Back, The Four Feathers, Golden Boy, Gone With The Wind, The Gorilla, Hollywood Cavalcade (so it was Buster Keaton who invented pie throwing), The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Juarez, The Ice Follies Of 1939, Idiot's Delight (proving Clark Gable is as good a song and dance man as Peter Boyle), Intermezzo, In Name Only (the king and queen of screwball get together and decide to make a weepie), Jamaica Inn, Jesse James, Lady Of The Tropics, The Little Princess, The Oklahoma Kid, Made For Each Other, The Man In The Iron Mask, The Old Maid, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, The Rains Came, The Return Of Doctor X, Stanley and Livingstone, The Story Of Alexander Graham Bell, Tarzan Finds A Son!, The Three Musketeers, Tower Of  London, The Women, Wuthering Heights, Union Pacific, Zenobia (a fascinating film showing Oliver Hardy could act and also defend segregation)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think there's any denying it's a great year. Even without Oz and Gone With The Wind, you've got at least ten films that hold up with the best of Hollywood: Mr. Smith, Stagecoach, Ninotchka, Beau Geste, The Roaring Twenties, Wuthering Heights, Dark Victory, Goodbye, Mr. Chips and The Four Feathers.

8:50 AM, January 03, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet you'd like GWTW more if it wasn't considered a classic. Also, there's no point in calling it racist. Of course it was, but that was the politics of the day. If we judge movies by that standard, half the classics of the past should be banned.

10:56 PM, January 03, 2020  
Blogger Jesse said...

The big decision for me for this year was which movie to put at #1 and which to put at #2. I like those two picture so much better than anything else released that year, but they're such different sort of movies that I don't know how to compare them. I finally gave Wizard the top spot out of respect for its cultural impact. It's the one movie I can pretty much assume any American has seen.

7:13 AM, January 04, 2020  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Last time I watched Gone with the wind I tried convincing myself I saw what was so great or even just important about it, but I it didn't take because I still think it's just a shitty, boring movie. It came out the same year Franklin W. Dixon published The Flaming Sword and it's not quite that bad, so I guess it has that going for it.

Here's my list, I've probably said this before but even though I've seen a lot of "classics" they don't generally do much for me. So the farther back we go the more my lists should be looked at as "two or three movies I really like, a few I thought were okay, and some more I at least didn't strongly dislike."

1. You Can't Cheat an Honest Man - I think Fields's best overall movie is Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, but this has probably my favorite scene in any of his movies, and it's the climax so it ends on a high note.
2. Stagecoach
3. Wizard of Oz
4. The Rules of the Game
5. Only Angels Have Wings
6. Gunga Din - bad politics, but still a decent movie.
7. The Return of Dr. X
8. King of the Underworld
9. Daffy Duck and the Dinosaur
10. Gulliver's Travels

6:30 PM, January 04, 2020  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:34 PM, January 04, 2020  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Should note that one of the ones you folks seem to be talking up I haven't seen - The Roaring Twenties. Cagney's one of the few "old-timey" actors I actually enjoy watching so I have some interest in that one. Maybe I'll watch it sometime in the next ten years.

6:36 PM, January 04, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter