Monday, January 20, 2020

Way Off

I just checked some of my predictions for 2020, just a couple weeks old, and so far, it looks like it'll be a bad year for my guesses. A lot is still open, but I've already blown a handful.

For instance, I predicted (against conventional wisdom--I should have joined the convention) that Clemson would beat LSU.  The game was a bit of a struggle, but Clemson lost 42-25.

I'm really in trouble when it comes to the Oscars.  I knew it would be tricky, but I'm already grounded on some of the guesses.

I said Renee Zellweger would take it over four others--I got three of the four, but Lupita Nyong'o didn't make it. (Actually, I'm surprised I didn't make the wrong guess of Awkwafina.)  Instead, it's Saoirse Ronan. But that's a minor error--and getting four of the five nominees is actually pretty good.

But I also said Noah Baumbach would surprise everyone by beating Martin Scorsese for best director.  That would be quite a surprise, since he isn't nominated in that category.  I also guessed that Jennifer Lopez would beat Laura Dern for best supporting actress.  In one of the big snubs, Lopez wasn't even nominated.

Finally, there's my prediction that James Holzhauer would win the Greatest Of All Time Jeopardy! tournament, beating the "elderly" Ken Jennings. But Ken still had it in him, and took the tournament handily, winning three out of four shows.  Good for you, Ken--and bad for my predictions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter