Sunday, March 29, 2020

Any World That I'm Welcome To

I've watched the first two episodes of season three of Westworld.  I watched the entire first season when it aired--not because I thought it was great, but because I was paying for HBO. I blogged about it, and as you can see, didn't think much of it.

I watched the second season on and off and, if anything, it was worse.  All the reversals of robots and robot minds doing this and that became tiresome.  And there were essentially no rules--or they could easily create a technological fix to reverse any plot problem they got into. I didn't expect to even sample the third season, but 1) I'm still paying for HBO and 2) what else is there to do?

Season three has a new twist.  Now the robots have escaped from Westworld and are wreaking havoc in the real world. At least it's something different, except it turns out to have the same problems as before.  It's once again robots versus humans (and some of the robots versus other robots) and whatever mechanical fix is needed for plot reasons is just there.

The cast still includes Evan Rachel Wood, Thandie Newton and Jeffrey Wright, and has added Aaron Paul, among others.  Fine actors, but there's not so much interesting for them to do amid the mayhem and high-tech mumbo-jumbo.  Maybe I should stop paying for HBO.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's likely HBO knows they've got a dog but they've invested too much to stop now.

12:11 PM, March 30, 2020  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I dropped HBO after Westworld finished. I liked the first seasons pretty well, but what I liked was the exploration of the world created by the founders (Anthony Hopkins). It was full of clues and traps and you had real people and robots trying to figure it out. There was the underlying plot as to whether the robots could achieve true sentience, but that was solved in season 2. I have no desire to watch a simple battle between humans and robots (I don't watch the Transformers either).

11:56 AM, March 31, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter