Sunday, December 27, 2020

The Dawn Of An Era

By the 1970s, Hollywood had thrown off the shackles of the Code and started making serious films with adult subjects.  The heyday of such films as major studio releases didn't last the decade, but it was a special time.

Let's imagine we're still in 1970, and no one knows what will happen next.  Jesse Walker has a top ten list for that year.

https://jessewalker.blogspot.com/2020/12/the-year-your-humble-blogger-was-born.html

Here it is:

1.  Five Easy Pieces

2.  MASH

3.  Gimme Shelter

4.  Le Boucher

5.  The Honeymoon Killers

6.  Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion

7.  Hospital

8.  Bed And Board

9.  The Conformist

10.  Le Cercle Rouge

Five Easy Pieces certainly announces Jack Nicholson is a star.  It'd probably make my top ten list, though at times the film seems as aimless as the protagonist.

MASH, the surprise blockbuster that made Robert Altman (and broke a lot of people who bankrolled him through the rest of the decade), is top ten material.

Gimme Shelter is a compelling documentary by the Maysles.  Really nothing quite like it.  Hospital is another fascinating doc by Wiseman about an institution.

I still haven't seen Le Boucher, though I plan too.

I don't think much of The Honeymoon Killers.  I don't mind the low budget--in fact, if this weren't low budget, I don't think it would be have a cult.

Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion is pretty good, and I, like Jesse, place it above The Conformist.

Bed And Board is minor, though enjoyable, Truffaut.  I'd put Le Cercle Rouge above it.

Here are Jesse's honorable mentions:

11.  La Rupture

12.  Claire's Knee

13.  Woodstock

14.  Chicken Real

15.  Wanda

16.  Donkey Skin

17.  Tristana

18.  Deep End

19.  Little Big Man

20.  Original Cast Album: Company

Lotta French films in the top 20 this year.

Alas, I haven't seen 11, 14, 16 or 18.  12 would make my top ten, and I'm sorry to see it's dropped out of Jesse's.  13 is well shot and captures a major event, though it's a bit long.  Probably top twenty material.  15 I can also see in the top twenty.  17 might make it into my top ten.  I was going to say 19 hasn't aged well, but was it that good to begin with?  20 might make my top ten, though it helps I'm a big fan of the show, and the album.  (It's also been parodied well on Documentary Now!)

Here are some other films from the year I like, at least in part:

Airport (perhaps the most influential film of the year), The Boys In The Band, Diary Of A Mad Housewife, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Hi Mom (particularly the "Be Black Baby" sequence, which I used to think was a left-wing guerilla theatre fantasy, but I now realize is straightforward documentary), Joe, Let It Be, Multiple Maniacs, The Rise And Rise Of Michael Rimmer, Start The Revolution With Me, The Twelve Chairs, Where's Poppa?

Other films of interest:

Alex In Wonderland, The Angel Levine, The Aristocats, The Baby Maker, The Ballad Of Cable Hogue, Beneath The Planet Of The Apes, Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls, Bloody Mama, The Boatniks, Brewster McCloud, Catch-22, Chariots Of The Gods, The Cheyenee Social Club, Chisum, The Christine Jorgensen Story, Le Cochon, Cockeyed Cowboys Of Calico County, Cottom Comes To Harlem, Cromwell, Darling Lili, Dirty Dingus Magee, Elvis: That's The Way It Is, The End Of The Road, Entertaining Mr. Sloane, The Garden Of The Fitzi-Continis, Getting Straight, The Go-Between, The Great White Hope, Hercules In New York, House Of Dark Shadows, Husbands, I Love My Wife, I Never Sang For My Father, I Walk The Line, Kelly's Heroes, The Landlord, The Liberation Of L.B. Jones, Little Fauss And Big Halsy, The Little Theater Of Jean Renoir, The Longest Most Meaningless Movie In The World (if you've got two days to spare), Lovers And Other Strangers, Loving (amazing ending), The Lustful Vicar, A Man Called Horse, Le Mans, The Music Lovers, Myra Breckinridge, Ned Kelly, On A Clear Day You Can See Forever, The Only Game In Town, The Out-of-Towners, The Owl And The Pussycat, Patton, The Penal Colony, Performance, The Phantom Tollbooth, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, Pufnstuf, Quackser Fortune Has A Cousin In The Bronx, Rabbit Run, Rio Lobo, Ryan's Daughter, Scrooge, Sometimes A Great Notion (great scene for Richard Jaeckel), The Strawberry Statement, Tell Me That You Love Me Junie Moon, ...tick...tick...tick..., El Topo, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Trash, Two Mules For Sister Sara, WUSA, Watermelon Man, What Do You Say To A Naked Lady?, Which Way To The Front?, What Does Herr R. Run Amok?, The Wild Child, Zabriskie Point

9 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

Funny—when I first saw Hi, Mom I took "Be Black Baby" as a parody.

I really wanted to like Even Dwarfs Started Small, just because the concept is so wonderfully cracked, but I thought it wore out its welcome pretty quickly.

11:29 AM, December 27, 2020  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Guess I'm alone in liking Catch 22 better than MASH (both are good). And I agree with LAGuy about Five Easy pieces but not Little Big Man (I also liked Dances w wolves fwiw) though only the latter makes my list. Last time I saw it was in the big theater at the AFI Silver Springs about a decade ago, which maybe boosts my estimation of it a little. Been too long for me to include El Topo. And I thought Patton was okay but George C. Scott is great as always.

1. Brewster McCloud;
2. Le Cercle Rouge;
3. Investigations of a Citizen Above Suspicion (RIP Kim's Video St. Marks, this was the last thing I rented there)
4. Even Dwarfs Started Small;
5. Catch 22;
6. The History of Postwar Japan as Told by a Bar Hostess;
7. Little Big Man;
8. Dodes'ka-den;
9. The man who left his will on film; 10. Hi, Mom! ;

1:33 PM, December 27, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's pretty perverse to list Brewster McCloud as Altman's best movie in 1970, much less #1.

One more film that would make my top ten is the underrated Ballad Of Cable Hogue, and maybe Husbands and Performance.

1970 may have been the dawn of a new era, but it was just as clearly the end of an old one. It was the year of the last movie from Wyler, Hawks and Stevens (they're all bad) and even Renoir. It was almost the last film of David Lean, and it was the last real film of Billy Wilder as well as Jerry Lewis.

2:49 PM, December 27, 2020  
Blogger Jesse said...

It was the year of the last movie from Wyler, Hawks and Stevens (they're all bad) and even Renoir

The Renoir is pretty disappointing too.

the last real film of Billy Wilder as well as Jerry Lewis

That is unfair to Fedora (which is not great but not bad) and Smorgasbord (which is rather good, really).

2:55 PM, December 27, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take The Wild Child over Bed & Board any day.

Two artifacts of the era worth looking at are Gas-s-s-s, which I don't see mentioned, and Getting Straight.

7:12 PM, December 28, 2020  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I find it surprising that looking over the large list of films from 1970, only a handful are familiar names to me. In 1970 I was 8, so I wasn't taking myself to the movies. But I'm sure I will recognize, have seen, and even own at least 10 of the films from each of 1960, 1940 and 1930 (not sure about 1950).

I do know Five Easy Pieces, MASH, Little Big Man, Tora Tora Tora, and Patton (I guess that's my top 5). And I have seen Beneath the Planet of the Apes when I was 8. Out of the rest of those listed, are many of them likely to be remembered outside historical film classes? I ask a serious question - if I wanted to see important (and entertaining) films from 1970, which of these are absolute musts?

11:28 AM, December 29, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't know which of these titles are important, but quite a few of these films are still being watched, or written about.

For instance, just about all the films in Jesse's top twenty are at least worth checking out, though I can't guarantee you'll like them all.

Among the rest of the titles, you might consider:

Airport, Joe, Let It Be, The Twelve Chairs, Where's Poppa?, The Garden Of The Fitzi-Continis, Getting Straight, The Great White Hope, Husbands, I Never Sang For My Father, The Landlord, Performance, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes and The Wild Child.

But really, why ask me? You know what kinds of films you like. Go to IMDb and figure out what looks good to you.

12:09 PM, December 29, 2020  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Re: Brewster McCloud, I guess I have to cop to the perversity charge since I definitely has a thing for Shelley Duvall's character at the peak of my Altman fandom in my 20s.

6:16 PM, December 29, 2020  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Thanks. I guess I did know about Let it Be (and I've seen parts of it). The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes sounds interesting - I'll try that first!

7:52 PM, December 29, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter