Tuesday, January 09, 2024

The Rest Is Silents

I feel like I used this title before, but it's good enough I don't care. (Don't even care that I broke the rule of using "year" in each title.)

Jesse has gone back so far he can't go any further.

Here's his entire entry for 1923:

THE POWER OF THREE: I have listed the best motion pictures of 2013, 2003, 1993, 1983, 1973, 1963, 1953, 1943, 1933.  And now...

...well, now we stop.  Sorry, I just haven't seen enough exceptional movies from 1923 to fill a top 10 list.  For the record, my favorite film of 1923 is Safet Last! and my favorite from 1913 is the opening chapters of Fantomas. (That isn't a putdown of the later chapters--it's just that they didn't come out until 1914.) Hang tight til December; we''ll start on the 4 years then.

Feel free to check out all those lists at:

The Perpetual Three-Dot Column (jessewalker.blogspot.com)

I actually was able to find an old post about Jesse not talking much about silent films--guess he hasn't seen too many 1923 films in the interim.  Let me reproduce it, illustrations and all, back when I knew how to do that:


His favorite film of 1923 is Harold Lloyd's Safety Last! Can't argue with that, but that's the only title Jesse lists.  I'm not asking for a top ten here, but there are a few more he might mention.  For instance, Lloyd, who was doing two features a year then, also did Why Worry?, another classic (and another title with its own punctuation).

Even more productive in 1923 was Buster Keaton, who made his last two silent shorts, The Balloonatic and The Love Nest (like them both, especially the latter), and his first two true Keaton features--Three Ages and Our Hospitality (like them both, especially the latter).

Another film I like is Cecil B. DeMille's silent The Ten Commandments, which, unlike his sound version, is mostly set in the present.

Other films of note in 1923 include The Covered WagonThe Hunchback Of Notre DameRositaScaramouche, The White Rose and A Woman Of Paris.  The last is by Chaplin, but doesn't star Chaplin--some call it a classic, which is vastly overrating it.

Going back ten years to 1913--a century ago in cinema--Jesse likes the Fantomas serial.  I've never seen any of it.

The film world was a wild place in 1913, with moviemakers still developing techniques and trying to establish an industry.  You had early versions of IvanhoeDr. Jekyll And Mr. HydeA Christmas CarolHamletThe Sea Wolf, David Copperfield and other titles that would be remade over and over.  You had D. W. Griffith making a film a week, some of which are still pretty entertaining.  You had Keystone Studios, where they made wild comedies, and where boss Mack Sennett hired some stage comic named Charles Chaplin, though he didn't appear in anything until 1914.

And that's where Jesse ends.  Odd, actually, since 1903 has some well-known stuff I bet he's seen--Electrocuting An ElephantThe Music Lover, Life Of An American Fireman and, above all, The Great Train Robbery.  And 1893 is the beginning of film as we know it, with Edison's famous Blacksmith Scene made at the Black Maria studio.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

You know, I respect the historical importance of The Great Train Robbery, but it isn't my "favorite" anything. Unlike those Lloyd and Keaton movies, it's not something I'll watch for fun.

2:18 PM, January 12, 2024  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter