Thursday, December 18, 2025

Gas May Break The Dollar

Jesse Walker now takes us back to 1975.

The Perpetual Three-Dot Column

Here's his top ten films for the year:

1. Nashville

2. Seven Beauties

3. Welfare

4. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Next

5. Monty Python And The Holy Grail

6. Love And Death

7. Dog Day Afternoon

8. Night Moves

9. Picnic At Hanging Rock

10. Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer

Looks like a pretty good year.

Nashville is a fine film. Altman was on a streak then--I don't consider it his best from the period, but still a top ten film (though not #1).

Seven Beauties is pretty good (you don't hear much about Wertmuller anymore).  Not top ten, perhaps.

I've seen a lot of Wiseman, but not Welfare.  I'd like to.

Everyone but me loves One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.  I've learned to live with it. (Maybe it would have been better if I hadn't read the novel first.)

Both Monty Python And The Holy Grail and Love And Death are classics.  Rated too low.

Dog Day Afternoon is pretty good.  Maybe a bit overrated here.  I feel the same way, maybe stronger, about Night Moves.

Picnic At Hanging Rock is pretty special.

Haven't seen #10. (I call it #10 because I don't want to have to spell it again.)


Here are Jesse's honorable mentions:

11. Jaws

12. Fox And His Friends

13. Grey Gardens

14. Organism

15. The Man Who Would Be King

16. Shivers

17. Posse

18. Monsieur Pointu

19. Three Days Of The Condor

20. The Magic Flute

I can't believe Jaws, Spielberg's best, isn't in the top ten.  It should be in the running for #1.

Never seen Fox And His Friends.  Fassbinder sure made a lot of films in his short life. I wonder how often this one is confused with Fox & Friends?

Grey Gardens should be top ten. Its reputation seems to grow with each decade.

Haven't seen Organism.

The Man Who Would Be King is one of the few John Huston films I truly like--should be top ten.

Shivers is okay. Not sure if it should make the list.  Feel sort of the same about Posse.

Monsieur Pointu is a short I haven't seen.

Three Days Of The Condor is a fine thriller that should probably make the top ten. (And I like the false predictions about our future at the end.)

I've never seen The Magic Flute.  Not liking opera, I haven't gone out of my way to catch it.

By the way, where is Jeanne Dielman--the greatest film of all time?  For that matter, where is Barry Lyndon--Kubrick's greatest?


Here are some other films that would make my top twenty:

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Smile


Other films I like:

A Boy And His Dog, Cooley High, Coonskin, Death Race 2000, Hard Times, Hearts Of The West, Hester Street, The Passenger, Rancho Deluxe, The Return Of The Pink Panther, Royal Flash, Shampoo, The Story Of Adele H., The Sunshine Boys


Other films of Note


The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother, Aloha, Bobby and Rose, The Apple Dumpling Gang, At Long Last Love, Bite the Bullet, The Black Bird, Brannigan, Breakheart Pass, Breakout, Bucktown, Capone, Cleopatra Jones and the Casino of Gold, Crazy Mama, The Day of the Locust, Dersu Uzala, The Devil's Rain, Diamonds, The Drowning Pool, The Eiger Sanction, Escape to Witch Mountain, Farewell, My Lovely, The Fortune, French Connection II, Friday Foster, Funny Lady, Galileo, Give 'em Hell, Harry!, The Great Waldo Pepper, The Happy Hooker, The Hiding Place, The Hindenburg, Hustle, Inserts, Journey into Fear, Keetje Tippel, The Land That Time Forgot, Legend of the Werewolf, Lepke, Let Joy Reign Supreme, Let's Do It Again, Lies My Father Told Me, Lisztomania, The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum, Lucky Lady, Mahogany, Man Friday, The Man in the Glass Booth, Mandingo, The Mirror, Mitchell, Mr. Ricco, Numéro deux, Once Is Not Enough, Operation Daybreak, The Other Side of the Mountain, Out of Season, Peeper, The Prisoner of Second Avenue, The Promised Land, Race with the Devil, Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins, The Reincarnation of Peter Proud, Rollerball, The Romantic Englishwoman, Rooster Cogburn, Rosebud, Russian Roulette, The 120 Days of Sodom, Le Sauvage, The Stepford Wives. The Strongest Man in the World, Supervixens, Switchblade Sisters, Take a Hard Ride, Terror of Mechagodzilla, Tommy, W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings, Walking Tall Part 2, White Line Fever, The Wild Party, The Wind and the Lion, The Wrong Move, The Yakuza

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was a big fan of Wertmuller in High School, should revisit. I think my favorite at the time was Love and Anarchy but Seven Beauties was up there. Here are my picks:

1. Picnic at Hanging Rock;
2. Deep Red;
3. Jaws;
4. Dersu Uzala;
5. Barry Lyndon;
6. Nashville;
7. Sholay;
8. Take a Hard Ride;
9. Wolf Guy;
10. Dog Day Afternoon;

Honorable mentions:
The Passenger; The Mirror; Hedgehog in the Fog; Shivers; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Seven Beauties; Dolemite; Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS (what if The Night Porter had the guts to give Nazi fetishization the crass and pathetic treatment it deserves); The Man Who Would be King; Karayuki-san;

10:20 AM, December 18, 2025  
Blogger Jesse said...

I can't believe Jaws, Spielberg's best, isn't in the top ten. It should be in the running for #1.

As I said in the post, it would've made the top five in a less stellar year.

By the way, where is Jeanne Dielman--the greatest film of all time? For that matter, where is Barry Lyndon--Kubrick's greatest?

I guess Barry Lyndon is at #21. (Kubrick's actual greatest is either Strangelove or Paths of Glory, of course, but I won't quibble.) Jeanne Dielman might be somewhere in the forties.

10:30 AM, December 18, 2025  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I hope it was clear, but just in case, let me note I was being ironic in referring to Jeanne Dielman as the greatest film of all time. It's an intriguing experiment, but Sight And Sound listing it as the best film ever is the kind of thing that gives film lists a bad name.

As for Barry Lyndon, I keep hearing people call it his masterpiece, when all I see is a beautifully shot, poorly told, endless movie. (At least it's shorter than Jeanne Dielman.)

10:45 AM, December 18, 2025  
Blogger Jesse said...

I realized you were being ironic about Jeanne Dielman but thought you were serious about Barry Lyndon.

10:53 AM, December 18, 2025  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Have never seen Jeanne Dielman. Honestly no idea what I would consider Kubrick's masterpiece, but off the top of my head I think I liked 2001 better than Barry Lyndon, but the latter is still up there for me. Haven't seen Strangelove or Paths of Glory since the 90s.

11:12 AM, December 18, 2025  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Underappreciated movies of the year.

At Long Last Love, which is pretty bad but still interesting.

The Day Of The Locust.

Farewell, My Lovely.

Hustle.

Rollerball.

The Stepford Wives.

Switchblade Sisters.

Tommy.

The Yakuza.

5:19 PM, December 18, 2025  
Blogger Albert said...



24kwinner west hunter bingo sounds like a fun and exciting game to explore, especially for players who enjoy simple, engaging bingo-style gameplay.

8:36 PM, September 21, 2026  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter